Analytics and Evaluation
The DentaQuest Partnership’s Analytics and Evaluation (A&E) team focuses on transforming data and information into knowledge that can be used by providers, policy makers and advocates to improve the oral health system and better inform policy and financing decisions. Using state- and national-level representative data sources, including large healthcare claims data, integrated medical-dental databases, and surveys of health care experiences, the A&E team identifies and compares trends in the oral health care delivery system.
We work closely with internal stakeholders, external researchers, policymakers, government representatives, leaders in the oral health field, and other collaborators to coordinate and promote the development of manuscripts, white papers, research briefs and other publications linking oral and overall health and increasing awareness of the importance of oral health. These products, combined with state- and national-level healthcare presentations, keynote addresses, and workgroup participation, also contribute to the DentaQuest Partnership’s development of evidenced-based, person-centered care and new, value-based focused healthcare financing models.
Some of our current research projects and collaborations include:
- Work with state Medicaid agencies to utilize and evaluate data to better understand, and respond to, the opioid crisis;
- Understanding the impact of dental care financing on dental care service utilization and oral health;
- In collaboration with the Partnership’s Person-Centered Care division, promoting better oral health measurement systems and inter-professional practice;
- Analysis of clinical and care innovations in partnership with Advantage Dental, one of the largest DCO’s in that state;
- Ongoing research projects with the University of Colorado focusing on infant and pediatric dental and oral health;
- Analysis of dental services utilization among patients living with HIV;
- Health Affairs Blog discussing dental services for the elderly and the impact of rural living, in partnership with Families USA; and
- A manuscript evaluating opioid prescribing patterns for acute and chronic pain, in partnership with the NIH National Institute for Dental and Cranio-facial Research and the National Libraries of Medicine.